Rhinoplasty is the most common facial plastic surgical procedure performed. Many surgeons would agree that it is the most challenging of aesthetic procedures. Therefore your selection of a physician is an important consideration. I encourage patients to inquire about the following topics:
- What is the surgeon’s training? Facial plastic surgeons are the best trained surgeons to perform a rhinoplasty and they have adequate background in the understanding of the anatomy and physiology of the nose. The training may include a previous residency in otolaryngology before undergoing facial plastic training.
- You should see a physician who is willing to spend an adequate amount of time explaining the details of the surgery with them, which usually requires a minimum of a 30 minute office consultation.
- I believe it is imperative that you see before and after photographs of other patients so that you can judge whether or not your surgeon’s aesthetic sense and surgical outcomes match your aspirations.
- In this same regard, I think it is important to determine how frequently he performs this surgery. Some surgeons perform fewer than 10-20 rhinoplasties yearly. I think this is insufficient to become a sophisticated rhinoplasty surgeon. I recommend that patients see physicians who perform at least 75 rhinoplasties per year. This is particularly true when considering having a revision rhinoplasty surgery.
- Video imaging or morphing technologies are helpful in clarifying the surgeon’s aesthetic sense and your desires in advance of surgery. One must be careful however that decisions not be made entirely on the results of video imaging when making the ecisions for surgery. This is why I believe seeing before and after photographs of patients is also an important consideration.
It is also important to visit with other patients who have had surgery, and finally I believe that it is important to not be tentative about seeking opinions from several surgeons before proceeding with surgery.
About the Surgeon
Dr. Peter Hilger has been performing facial cosmetic surgery in Edina, Minnesota for over 25 years. With thousands of cosmetic procedures performed, his breadth of knowledge and talent is unmatched. Learn more about our Peter Hilger plastic surgeon