Dr. Peter Hilger is a Professor and Director of the Division of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery in the Department of Otolaryngology, at the University of Minnesota.
Honors he has received include:
- President of the American Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
- President of the American Board of Ontolaryngology
- Secretary & Treasurer of The American Board of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
- Certification examiner for Facial Plastic Surgery
- Dickinson Award frm the American Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery for excellence in teaching
- The Castle-Connolly Award as recognition as America’s Top Doctor
- Current selection as a Top Doctor of the Mpls/St. Paul Magazine
He has made more than 100 scientific presentations and authored more than 75 articles on the subject of facial plastic surgery. Dr. Hilger has been active in teaching and clinical research at the University for more than a decade. He is among the few fellowship-trained, Board Certified facial plastic surgeons in the Twin Cities.
Dr. Hilger also actively participates in humanitarian efforts. In this regard, the AAFPRS Face to Face program has been in existence for over 25 years. That organization is dedicated to the education of physicians internationally and to the care of patients who would not otherwise have access to facial plastic surgery. Dr. Hilger’s involvement in this has included four trips to Croatia, the former Yugoslavia during the time of the Yugoslavian war. Dr. Hilger and his colleagues reconstructed many of the refugees faces with war-related injuries. Many of the patients did not serve in the military, but were civilians and refugees. He continues to travel on a yearly basis with the Grace Medical Corp and Outreach from Grace Church in the Twin Cities to Lima, Peru. They travel there on nearly a yearly basis, providing reconstructive surgical services for children who otherwise would be unable to have reconstructive procedures.